This is all due to Mark trying to come up with a list of ten books and making me think about mine.
So after quite a lot of thinking, and some blatant cheating by creating a separate childrens list, here is my top ten...I mean twenty.
1. Skallagrigg – William Horwood
2. 1984 – George Orwell
3. Stranger in a Strange Land – Robert Heinlein
4. The Lord of the Rings – J.R.R. Tolkien
5. I Capture the Castle – Dodie Smith
6. Thornyhold – Mary Stewart
7. The Eight – Katherine Neville
8. Omega – Stewart Farrar
9. The Probable Future – Alice Hoffman
10. American Gods – Neil Gaiman
1. The Hobbit – J.R.R. Tolkien.
2. Fire and Hemlock – Diana Wynne Jones
3. Saffy’s Angel/Indigo’s Star/Permanent Rose – Hilary McKay (separate links here)
4. Green Angel – Alice Hoffman
5. Linnets and Valerians – Elizabeth Goudge
6. A Hat Full of Sky – Terry Pratchett
7. The Dark is Rising Sequence – Susan Cooper
8. Dogger – Shirley Hughes
9. Howl’s Moving Castle – Diana Wynne Jones
10. Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen – Garth Nix
I know I've also cheated by including series', but they are ones where the whole series has changed me. I'm sure that when Caddy Ever After gets published it will be added in there too, and Wintersmith also stands a chance.
(I'll add some more links to my list tomorrow when I'm not so sleepy!)