Sunday, May 02, 2004

Friday...

...was an interesting day.

We were short staffed at work so knew things were going to be hectic, but I had no idea just how strange the day was going to be.

I had to serve this guy who wanted "the new Robert Woodward book called Road to War". This didn't come up on the computer at all. I searched under 'war' and 'woodward' and got a guy called 'Bob Woodward' up and asked if this was the right guy.
"Yes, that's the name I said".
Nothing by that title came up but I told him that there was a new book, as yet untitled that according to the system was due in June.
"Your systems wrong, WHSmiths have got it."
After the look on my face evidently radiated puzzlement as to why the hell if Smiths had it was he standing there and yelling at me he added.
"But it's in their stockroom and they wouldn't unpack it for me". (If he talked to the m the way he talked to me I'm not surprised!)
Since he was just getting ruder and ruder I said I'd go look upstairs in the politics section. He then followed me saying "If the politics section is upstair you should have a sign saying so" (we have TWO signs saying so!)
I found the new Bob Woodward book (published early) and handed it to him. This produced a long rant about the fact the book didn't have the right title.
I took him over to Maggie and we went through the whole thing on the system again.
Eventually he decided it was right and would buy it, shoving the book into Maggies hands.
I popped back downstairs and a minute later he went out, still muttering to himself and without a word of thanks.
Then I had to serve a lady who was very rude about the fact she couldn't find any of the books on her list. I looked at the list and had them all in front of her in about a minute (all on the shelves in plain sight, in the right sections). None of them were right though so off she went.

I then said to Richard that I'd love a customer that was polite and nice for a change, and up to the counter came a man called Mr Moses that I'd ordered a book for the other day. He'd been lovely and friendly and polite so I gave him a big smile.

Then he said: "I'm afraid I've got to complain about you."

Richard thought I was going to have a heart attack!

It turned out to be just a joke as he'd heard me wishing for a nice customer. He apologised lots and went off to get his book.

Then Mr Davis came in for his art book and I was about to phone the poublishers and get shirty when Mr Moses came back in with a huge bunch of gorgeous carnations as an apology for scaring me!

So I promptly burst into tears!

I got myself together and phoned the publishers who promised we should have the book with that days Securicor delivery so I asked Mr Davis to come back about 2pm, when Chris would have had a chance to unpack it.

Securicor came, the book didn't.

I phoned the publishers and got shirty again. They rang back about five minutes later to say that as the book was underweight it had gone 1st class post on Tuesday. We'd already opened all the post, no book.

When Mr Davis came back I explained just how the publishers had screwed up and mentioned there was a copy available at the Birmingham High Street store if he could get there. He couldn't and as he needed the book for 9am Sat at the latest I said I would go there after work and pick up the book for him.

So I did.

I eventually got home about 7.30pm and felt great!

Sure I'd had the crap customers that made me want to quit, but they were followed up by a guy who gave me flowers because I was having a pants day, and a guy who is so lovely I was perfectly happy to go the Birmingham after work for him.

Some days I hate my job, but most days I love it.

That's why I sell books.

No comments: