Friday, July 14, 2006

More music

My parents have a whole batch of old tapes that they made back in the late 70's. They were living out in Bahrain and my dad used to set up the reel-to-reel (which is still working and used most days) to record Radio Dhahran. Then they would pick out their favourite songs and they'd get put onto tapes.

I think there are about 15 Dhahran tapes, and three or four more that are Best of's. The only problem was that they just used to broadcast the songs one after another, with no breaks apart from the hourly news and weather (one weather broadcast is immortalised on one of the tapes). This meant that the artists and song titles were never mentioned.

Because of this there are a few songs on the tapes that have ?? as the artist and a guess at the title. One of these I remember is "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac which was down as "Running in the Shadows" by ?? for a long long time. It's my writing on the case that changed it to Fleetwood Mac...

One of the songs has defied all identification for a long while. Dad thought it was possibly Suzanne Vega, but it was recorded before she started performing.

Tonight, prompted by the discovery of a Carole King concert on BBC4, I decided to google the lyrics...and I found the artist.

Falling Star by Karla Bonoff

Oh my heart aches
Deep inside me
Oh, how I miss you
Will you come back?
Oh, why’d you leave me?
Oh, what can I do?

‘Cause every night
I sit here by the phone
You know it rings a lot inside my head
I daydream you're home
I never knew that it would go this far.
Come pick me up
I'm going down
Like a falling star.

And the clock strikes midnight
And I'm lying here alone.
I can't sleep, I hear my heartbeat.
Oh, I can't stand the monotone.
And every day I have paced the floor
You know it rains a lot inside my heart,
But I still ask for more.
But now I know that love can leave a scar.
Come pick me up, I'm going down
Like a falling star.

And when the birds fly south for a while,
Oh, I wish that I could go.
Someone there might warm this cold heart,
Someone there might know.
But every day I have paced the floor.
You know it rains a lot inside my heart,
But I still ask for more.
But now I know that love can leave a scar.
Come pick me up, I'm going down
Like a falling star.

-------------------

That's another one crossed off, and I am a happy bunny. (Now I just need to get copies of all those tapes for myself...)

No comments: