Tuesday, March 20, 2007

More books

I went to the library again today. Since Anthony needed food for lunch (and I wanted lemonade) I made the executive decision that we would go to Sainsbury's via the library and then I wouldn't have to carry a(nother) heavy bag of books into work with me.

I didn't manage to read all the books I got last time. I passed completely on Thunderball and Sense and Sensibility. This was partly due to the fact that I loved the Kim Harrison book The Good, The Bad and The Undead so much that I bought all five books in the series from work and have been working my way through those.
Luckily it was the last library book I read as then The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay and Full Dark House were granted my full attention and I very much enjoyed them both. This does mean that I now want to get my mitts on the rest of Christopher Fowler's books - *sigh* The library was supposed to be SAVING me money!

Anyways, this time I got this mixed selection.

Watch Your Mouth - Daniel Handler (aka Lemony Snicket).
The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets - Eva Rice (as recommended by Mark).
The Cryptographer - Tobias Hill (which some mad woman was hassling Campbelli about the other day).
The Puppet Masters / Waldo / Magic,Inc - Robert A. Heinlein (3 in 1)
Red Planet - Robert A. Heinlein (I used to love reading his stuff, so thought I'd try it again).
Special Topics in Calamity Physics - Marisha Pessl (which was the first book I saw, practically snatched it out of someone elses hand).

I also came away with two books by Duncan Harding, Sink HMS Kelly and Sink HMS Cossack. Anthony picked these up to take on holiday as he's having a break from Pratchett.

I've also got provisions for while I'm reading, lovely lovely cloudy lemonade and squidgy chocolate brownies!

2 comments:

MarkFarley said...

My friend just sent me a US first edition (it was released in hardback there), I'm so made up, gonna get Eva to sign it this week. xx

Kate said...

Jammy sod! I did manage to grab the new Sebastian Faulkes proof before anybody else though, guess I should be happy with that (my mother is since she'll get to read it too).