Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Teatowels and cricket

I actually watched some cricket at the weekend. I blame Rob, because he put it on and got me vaguely interested. So with a break in the middle to watch the Moto GP (running out of petrol!!!) I watched cricket. And I quite enjoyed it too.

I've never been a cricket fan, and I wouldn't call myself one now, I'm just someone who will occasionally watch The Ashes matches. I'm unlikely to ever turn into a cricket fan though. I do partly blame this on Jon (my boyfriend while at uni) who used to watch it on Ceefax....yup, on Ceefax. Watching the page update ever now and then to say 1 or 2 more runs than before. Paint drying or Ceefax cricket....you decide!

Anyhoo, this post was brought about by the fact that I attempted to explain what I knew of cricket to Phoenix (who is DEFINATELY not a cricket person) by remembering a teatowel that my parents had (and probably still have in a drawer somewhere). Along with the fabulous "Dick Turpin" teatowel (a replica of the poster announcing his hanging) they had one that explained cricket in a kind of w.t.f. way. But I couldn't remember it all and got very confused.

The good old BBC however, have kindly included it in an article about blogging about cricket. So here, for your confusion, are the rules of cricket.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

No comments: